Pages

02 July 2008

Please...and Damn you!

I'm pretty sharp.

That is to say, I regard myself as having a keen and uncanny perception of the undercurrents in society and of world events in general. For instance, I will share with you that the presidential campaign this year will be contentious. I think Americans will feel squeezed by higher energy prices and that, inexplicably, American Idol will generate some media attention. I'm like a Rainman-Rasputin hybrid; it's crazy.

So it is with this Zen-like focus that I have felt the faint stirrings of dysphoria amongst the racing effete elite. Then again I did have a burrito for lunch.

Why are people beginning to question whether it's a good idea for Curlin to try the Arc? Hasn't the horse racing community been clamoring for a superhorse? A throwback? A horse that will capture the imagination of a new generation and propel racing into the twenty-first century?

Too many horses are whisked away after mediocre sophomore years? Here's Curlin at age four building on a stellar resume. Too many horses run against questionable competition in meaningless races? Curlin is taking on the world's best in THE premier event and handing them their ass.

Could he lose? Absolutely. Will his accomplishments be diminished by his failures? Absolutely not. The deepest level of hell is reserved for those that are too timid to risk anything...and fairweather Cubs fans. (Please no comments from Dante scholars. I know what the levels are.)

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
[info][add][mail]
Theodore Roosevelt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I'm no Rainman-Rasputin hybrid, I'm right there with you. Heck, I'm still wondering how a race with 4 horses (like, say, the recent Mother Goose) can be called a G-1. Shouldn't a bit of courage be required for races to be considered top-grade?

Anonymous said...

You forgot there may be a little controversy regarding the Olympics in China...but nonetheless...you quote em like you see em. Nice work.

BTW...been meaning to comment on your last post that I really like the East-West angle, that's something that could easily work.

Wind Gatherer said...

QQ-I think we should prepare ourselves for a long stretch of short, lackluster GI fields.

Geno-AMAZING! You too have the gift. I didn't want to put that one in there and make it sound like I was bragging. With the Sovereign series and the stirring of the Austral-asian breeding giant, something needs to be done before US racing becomes an "I remember when..."

Thanks to both of you for reading.

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle