Pages

09 March 2010

Quick hits

Offer cash incentives to owners, whose horses compete through the age of five. Scale it to the calibre of horse. Offer bonuses for number of graded races run in a year. Claimers would get little if anything.

TOBA and the AGSC have a threshold, as it pertains to purses, in order for a race to qualify for graded status. What is the problem with adding a medication free requirement? Make it effective in 2012. How hard is that, really? I'm asking.

On Sunday, I watched my first NASCAR race since Earnhardt scraped the paint in turn four, of the last lap at Daytona. I don't care for NASCAR but my father in law had it on, so we watched the last ten laps. Apparently, new to this year, the officials instituted a policy where every attempt is made to finish the race under green.

If the race would finish under caution, a restart is allowed, up to three times, I guess. It is a two lap dash for all the marbles and I have to say, it proved exciting. During one of the restarts, the announcer said something to the effect of 'the fans asked for this and NASCAR responded'. Crazy, that.

In addition and only marginally related, NASCAR allows the drivers to settle things out on the track-this policy, the jockeys at Penn might enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NASCAR has always been fan friendly and they have shown they can adapt in tough economic times. I also find the chicks that follow NASCAR are hot and it is an easy way to get some action by hanging out with them

Anonymous said...

If the pinky-up crowd continues to do everything it can get rid of the claimers, racing will end up running 10 days a year and only 20 owners will be able to participate.

That would be a lot of fun, wouldn't it?

Keith - TripleDeadHeat said...

Action at the track as incentive...I like where Anonymous is going but not sure how to market (or recruit)!

I'm with you on the age incentive program. Keep horses on the track where fans can celebrate and grow with the horse...Slow down adding so many new names to the stallion list...

Wind Gatherer said...

Anon1/KTDH-I would love to sit in on that brainstorm session. Work out the details. Just think of what would get cut...

Anon2-I don't think the concepts are mutually exclusive. improving graded races would do nothing to take away from the claiming game. I think it would improve it by forcing owners to realize the true value of their stock and place it where it would be competitive.

My thought was, claimers don't need any incentives to stick around. They run because that is how they make money. I don't see any claimers signing lucrative stud deals.

BTW, leave my silk boxers and cravats out of this...

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle