Pages

25 June 2008

Blue blooded blather

Takeover Target, not pictured, tore a tendon in the Golden Jubilee Stakes GrI, at Ascot and is returning home to Australia. I would post the interview I did with the horse after he sustained his injury but I am worried that people wouldn't like me.

As a man of influence and prestige, I am of course beset upon by myriad institutions to lend my good name to their enterprise; in that vein I have consented to reach down into the flotsam of advertisers at my feet and promote a Horse betting site on this internationally demanded blog. (I'm just glad at least one person stumbled across this thing and made the mistake of assuming that people read it...thanks Melanie)

Seeing how I am one of the racing elite now (that's our baby in the picture), I feel qualified to throw my proverbial hat in the ring of public discourse on the racing industry.

How does one get heard? There are ideas out there, we are not starved for those and yet the people with those ideas are shut out of any and all meaningful discourse by the so-called caretakers of this sport. What explains this obdurate refusal to open up to the concerned following and welcome the helping hand we are desperately waving?

Alex Waldrop posted a moving piece about the importance of cooperation and forward thinking and Kumbaya-like harmony amongst the racing executives. Talk is cheap-or writing at any rate, present company included. If the meeting was so important, why was it not disclosed beforehand? (Was it?) Where is the video of the meeting itself? Why couldn't you link the minutes of the meeting in your blog Mr. Waldrop? Why is there not an open forum of discussion? Why don't the racing jurisdictions adopt one set of rules and enforcement procedures? What IS the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

It does not cease to amaze me how much I don't know about the inner workings of this industry and the petty turf wars waged on a daily basis by the anarcho-syndicalist communes we laughingly refer to as the industry leaders. The ship is sinking and they are fighting over whose flag gets to fly on the transom.

Might as well fly the white one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

African or European?

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle