Pages

05 May 2008

The first step

Passion and comfort are not symbiotic conditions. Nothing of true value, born from desire, is ever achieved when the warm embrace of comfort and familiarity clutch you. This last weekend (and a better friend than I deserve), made that very clear.

Big Brown won the Kentucky Derby; this is my blog and I refuse to cheapen the classic with marketing nostrums. In doing so he made one man's vision a reality. I have for years, bored and harassed my friends with my plans for a racing and breeding empire and my handicapping exploits-one magical coup, witnessed by many of them (2005 Derby winner Giacomo, thank you very much). Inevitably, when politeness and absolutely nothing better to talk about forces them to ask me how my endeavours are progressing, I reply that it is all in the planning stages and coming along quite nicely. A long hard look in the proverbial mirror reveals the quiet truth that I have not done a single useful thing in getting this venture out of the mental filing folder labelled fantasy.

That is over. Today is the first day in my quest to make this real. This record is a first step in giving myself something tangible to propel me in that direction. I will document my progress and update this daily with whatever progress I make. That is the goal, the schedule of postings will mark the true record. Success and failure will receive equal billing and an honest attempt at truth will be made. Should anyone have any insights, he yelled to the empty stands, they will be most welcome.

Alea iacta est...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would buy a really fast horse. Good luck my friend.

Anonymous said...

I must say that I am very impressed with your determination to fulfill your dream. Keep your spirits up and your eye on the finish.- Emily

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle