Pages

26 November 2008

Thank the Puritans

I stumbled across the George Mason School of Law itunes podcast and for reasons that escape me at the moment, I subjected myself to their podcast dealing with the passage of the Online Wagering Act of 2006(or whatever the hell it's called). I slept through most of it but it apparently is of great concern to the government that US citizens not be allowed to wager with offshore entities. Online betting through domestic agents is o.k.(My apologies to Thoroughbredbrief for not finding anything from Virginia or Kentucky)

Part of the concern seems to be the unregulated flow of money. Neteller handled the bulk of these transactions ($6billion from US out of $12billion worldwide in 2006) but has apparently been blocked to US bank account holders. The guy on their home screen looks like a douchebag and I wouldn't want to give them my money anyway but what the hell do I know.

I don't know the Rico Act from Rico Suave but could you add trainers that drug horses that run in wagering events, to the list?

Funny Cide is going to the Kentucky Horse Park.

Mark Johnson, the current track announcer at Churchill Downs, is bloody good. He gets my vote.

For those of you gorging yourselves tomorrow and enduring the annual agony that is the family reunion, whilst watching mediocre football, remember this, only 157 days until the Kentucky Derby.

Happy Thanksgiving or whatever other Hallmark holiday you believe in.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

speaking of Hallmark, is it just me or does the rose in this year's Derby logo look suspiciously like the rose in the American Greetings logo?

Anonymous said...

I thought that rose looked familiar! Yes, it's very similar -- it's like the American Greetings rose viewed from above.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping the typtophan kicks in early so I don't have to pretend I'm sleeping. Have a great holiday.

BTW...how does one happen upon the George Mason School of Law's podcasts?? LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey, Geno, haters to the left. You're obviously not cool enough for law school podcasts ....

Anyway, Winston, I have some articles I can forward you if you want to read more on the offshore hubs / DOJ / WTO mess. They feature the opinions of people like Visa insiders, since regulation of a lot of this falls to credit card companies, which sucks for them.
Albany Law School is actually the authority on this sort of thing, though:
http://www.albanylaw.edu/sub.php?navigation_id=681
I'm counting on the magic of blogger to make that a click-able link.

Wind Gatherer said...

Dana/Jessica-Wow. First time I saw it, it tickled a nerve but I never would have made that connection. That is funny.

Geno-It's on the most popular downloads page. Everybody knows that. Come on.

Kerry-Thank you kindly. I would like to take a look at those articles.

Does our little clique have jackets or anything?

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle