Pages

28 November 2008

Food Coma

If Team Dynaformer/La Ville Rouge can go back to back, this guy will never have to pay for another thing in his life.

Da'Tara struggled home today, third, in an $80000 AlwOC. He set easy fractions and had nothing in the straight. Winless in his four starts since the Belmont; I wonder what his stud fee will be?

I have no idea why they distinguish between trotters and pacers, or how anyone expects to be taken seriously riding around in that stroller but these guys at least are trying to do something. Maybe the Breeders' Cup could triple the nomination fee for horses sired by stallions younger than five.

Leparoux had twelve wins today after the first two races. Seriously, this kid is having a stupid good meet.

PVal was spotted buying up all the Nair, at the local CVS, after calling in sick the last two days with the flu.

The Remsen is tomorrow and you can download the free PP's, along with other stakes races, at the TBA site.

Except of course as of the time of this writing, since nothing appears there.

9 comments:

Patrick J Patten said...

pacers move their legs on either side together. like both legs on left move forward simultaneously, trotters have more the "trotting motion" i'm by no means a harness guy, someone can surely give you a better answer.

Wind Gatherer said...

Thanks. I guess my question is, why distinguish between the two paces?

In thoroughbreds we don't run races at the rotary gallop and others at the diagonal.

Anonymous said...

Like Handride said, while both gaits are two-beat, the pace is a lateral gait, the trot is a diagonal gait. Pacing is a little faster than the trot, and not all Standardbreds can pace. The ones that do pace wear hobbles, which I guess ensure that they don't break stride. At any rate, I guess they distinguish between the two gaits because one is faster. I'm no expert, and actually pacing looks a little odd to me, while I absolutely love watching a really good trotter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54-rnGMUFw
Everyone should know Greyhound anyway. I swear there is good footage after the stats and catchy music.

Anonymous said...

You need to check your sources---Julien had 23 winners after two races today.

You should take in a few nights at the trotters and then report back. That could be really funny---though I think I'd prefer it if you kept a straight face.

Up until I was 14 or 15, harness and thoroughs were neck and neck. Then the beauty of the thoroughbred..

Anonymous said...

My parents owned harness horses when I was a kid, and I was a teenager before I realized that trotters and pacers were not the center of the racing world.

I love watching them; I loved riding in the sulky when I was little; one of my 2009 racing resolutions is to dive back into the world whence my racing self came...

Wind Gatherer said...

Alright, alright. A trip to Maywood it is.

If you all keep this up I am going to stop making wild an asinine comments on subjects I know nothing about. (That would probably force me to retire)

Then where are you gonna be? You won't have Winston to kick around anymore.

John said...

My Dear W,

Nair indeed, that's a funny one.

I'd like to meet the guy who OK'd giving him a license, maybe he needs some Nair too!

Anonymous said...

"If you all keep this up I am going to stop making wild an asinine comments on subjects I know nothing about."

I've got only one word: Saratoga.

You're doing us a favor, allowing us to feel smug about introducing you to things you profess to disdain.

Really, we should be thanking you.

Anonymous said...

It is truly a sad state of affairs when a Belmont Stakes winner can't even manage to go off as the favorite in an allowance race less than six months after winning the thing. Clearly he didn't deserve it, but it's still a bit unsettling.

My guess is the Belmont win, and that win alone, will put Da'Tara somewhere in the $15,000 range for his first year at a mid-tier Kentucky farm, or perhaps somewhere in Florida.

After that, I figure he will end up somewhere in the midwest for a $3,000-$6,500 fee within five years.

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle