Pages

22 July 2008

A New Deal


Herb Moelis, President of Thoroughbred Charities of America (TCA), has a piece at Bloodhorse.com. It makes for an interesting idea and one that should not necessarily be dismissed out of hand.

While in no way should the control of any monies be given to racing executives or any owners organization, if a commissioners office were to be appointed, the management of the money could fall under its purview. This could also present a good opportunity to test the feasibility of a privatized system.

Place the monies with some sort of investment banking firm, Handride could make himself available, and see what happens. In addition, some small, 0.5% or whatever, of all winnings of all horses could go towards this superfund as well. Maybe stallion nomination fees could throw some money that way too.

What about HSA's for horses? Medicare? E-Harmony?

In related news, slightly less than 0.15% of horses sold at OBS last year distinguished themselves by losing Grade I races this year. And for those looking to breed durability and performance into their stock, The Leopard has been retired to stud.

The Leopard, the highest-priced auction 2-year-old of 2007 and one of the top juvenile turf runners that year, has been retired from racing to stand at Haras La Quebrada in Argentina.
"...and one of the top juvenile turf runners THAT year..." Oh, yeah, way back when in 2007, Boy, those were the days!

Scot Gillies at The Five-Cross Files has an entry asking if Kamsin would be a good addition to the U.S. bloodstock pool. I think that type of pedigree is exactly what we need...not that it will be financially successful.

5 comments:

Patrick J Patten said...

I don't know all that money, probably corrupt me ;-D

Anonymous said...

Ok, weirdly enough, my next post addresses Moelis's proposal, and I refer to it as 'social security.' I do not have a cool graphic, though. When I post it I'll give you a shout-out.

Anonymous said...

Very cool blog, Winston.

And enjoyed your recent Lava Man comment over at GbG.

Jessica C. said...

First, I thought, "The Leopard? The name sounds familiar," and then I realized calling him a top juvenile turf runner was a joke, sort of like NYRA calling its new Nation "revolutionary." These press release writers are a wicked funny bunch ...

Wind Gatherer said...

Patrick-You only live once.

Ernie-Too kind by far.

Kerry-I am sure that whatever you post will do the subject matter infinitely more justice than my babble.

Jessica-I wonder if they taste a little bile when they are writing that crap?

Thanks all, for reading.

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle