Pages

10 March 2009

Barriers of entry

Bill Pressey, at The Science of Horse Training, has a great post. It's a short post so I won't excerpt anything. Go ahead and read it, I'll wait.

I have also wondered about the implementation of Trakus or similar technologies and Brooklyn Backstretch kindly noted that NYRA dismissed the issue for cost related reasons.

How can the cost be this high?

I can put a lo jack in my dogs and have NORAD find their ass, no problem. Of course, no matter how far from my house I drop them off, they manage to find their way back.

Could it be, Equibase doesn't want this information readily available and open sourced? It would eliminate their stranglehold on this commodity. Just asking?

Google has to have an answer for this. They know what horse racing needs.

2 comments:

G. Rarick said...

I've said it before: We tried Trakus in Deauville this year and I think it has great potential. But trainers complained it would give the bettors too much information. I think it would give TRAINERS too much information that most of them are too simple to comprehend. The downside was they didn't let us use it like the tool it could be. You're supposed to be able to watch virtual replays of the race, follow the trajectory of your horse from its perspective and all sorts of great, cool things, but we (the owners and trainers, not to mention the public) weren't given access to any of it. They just used it to put up the cool chicklet markets during the running of the race, and that's it. I'm sure the jockeys were unhappy with Trakus , as well, because it would shoot holes in all the stories they invent while galloping back to the unsaddling paddock. "I was cut off," etc. with Trakus, you can replay exactly what happened. Fantastic tool, way over most people's heads.

Wind Gatherer said...

Gina, I agree with you. I think the potential for the technology is only limited by those that don't see fit to use it. I am working on a post (read: I just got the idea) on how this could change the game. Your suggestions as well as those of Mr. Pressey, have got me going. It really is a shame, ideas that could grow the sport are mired in the parochial visions of those clinging to a day long gone. Thanks for weighing in.

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle