Pages

07 December 2008

A place for everything

I have a pretty damn good memory, when I can remember anything.

I never adopted any organizational structure or habit because I could always fall back on my recollection of events and information in order to get through.

I find, lately, that the piper is clamoring for his emolument.

I have no idea how to use technology. Until recently, Excel, to me, was something one did and a spreadsheet was something one laid on. Windows and folders and shortcuts are as foreign to me as CDS's were to Lehman Brothers.

This last week I have taken some time to try and figure out exactly what I am doing in this game. I have made weak attempts at consistent handicapping, my first twenty or so posts tackled the Churchill spring meet but my technique was as focused as a cat tracking a light in a house of mirrors.

Pull the Pocket has a series he posted a while back, dealing with approach, money management and hardware set-up. I plan to use that as a starting point and tackle the winter meet at Gulfstream.

We'll see.

3 comments:

Pull the Pocket said...

People on gambling boards that play poker 'n stuff think we're nuts to play our game. I am in a constant struggle to prove them wrong. I am stubborn.

Hopefully you will have some luck.

Anonymous said...

It is so worth it to do your own odds-line and keep thorough wagering records. I learned pretty quickly after embarking on a similar project that I didn't do so hot with trifectas or superfectas or certain classes of races. A few changes and a better time at the races resulted.

Steve Zorn said...

We are nuts to play this game. Especially if we're just average bettors who don't play enough to qualify for substantial rebates. The 20% blended takeout is a killer compared to most games, especially poker. But then, we get to watch horses, not cards. And if we do win, that proves we're pretty damn smart. :)

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle