Pages

23 October 2008

Will you respect me in the morning?

I don't have an online wagering account.

I live five minutes from an OTB and the extra effort to go and bet is enough of a deterrent for me to keep from blowing what is left of my 401k. If I have a strong opinion on a race I usually make it in time to place my bet.

I had a poll up a few weeks ago, asking what ADW people used. I think I had only seven responses but six of them were for Twinspires(a sponsor of the TBA older horse division). I called Twinspires to inquire about the process and the system itself. There seem to be some disputes with several horseman's groups, infringing on my ability to bet several tracks.

I did some research and uncovered that Twinspires is owned by CDI(Churchill Downs) but, curiously, I would be unable to bet on Churchill during its Fall meet. Hmmm.

If I wanted to bet on California races I would have to call it in since they cannot accept bets over the internet. This seems to defeat the purpose of an online betting site but what the hell do I know.

So it is with wonder and infinite joy I welcome the news that bygones are bygones and everyone can freely bet from anywhere on the Breeders' Cup races. I guess all those disputes are behind us and nothing but open track ahead. Happy day.

In other confounding news(courtesy of PaulickReport), there are still plenty of overpriced tickets available for Friday and Saturday. Apparently, and this may just be a rumor if the recent unemployment figures are accurate, people work on Fridays. Holding an event, with no name recognition, on a non-holiday Friday, while asking people to pay you to give you money is just stupid.

Some may have noticed that I have not written about who I like in the races. I am not betting either card and will instead be donating my usual bankroll to Rerun. Tripledeadheat has a great interview with Alex Brown up on his site and I encourage you to read it.

I, along with other members of the TBA, have posted my picks on the TBA homepage. I think if Curlin runs the 10 furlongs faster than any other horse in the race, he stands a solid chance of joining Tiznow as a back to back winner of the Classic. I also like Smooth Air to hit the board. Bejarano gets the mount in a shoddy move by the owner. You dance with the girl who brung ya'.

The petition to Take Back the Race closes tonight.

May they all come home safe...

No comments:

The Bid

The Bid
Greatest horse ever to look through a bridle